What To Do if an Amazon Truck Hits Your Car
- December 27, 2022 |
- Truck Accidents
Amazon has, without a doubt, made life a whole lot easier for all of us. Regardless of where you live, you have access to millions of products, often at superb prices. And they can be delivered to your front door in as little as one day. This business has truly changed the way you manage your day-to-day tasks.
Because of the convenience, seeing the Amazon truck in your neighborhood often brings great joy, especially when you know your order is scheduled to arrive. Unfailingly, the package will be placed right outside your door, alleviating travel to the store and fulfilling practically any need. For most of us, spotting an Amazon truck means good things are about to happen.
Sadly, Amazon deliveries are not without peril. With so many orders, the Amazon fleet of trucks is substantial. And with all of them on the road, it’s not surprising that vehicular accidents occur. Unfortunately, they are not an anomaly.
Individuals throughout Massachusetts (and across the country) have been involved in accidents with Amazon delivery trucks, often incurring significant injuries resulting in costly care.
Take one look at the size of these vehicles and you can imagine the damage that results.
If you are the unfortunate victim of an Amazon truck collision, the truck accident attorneys at Cava Law Firm can help. We have experience handling cases like these and know how to help you to maximize your compensation.
Amazon Accidents Are Common
Understanding the Causes
We are all aware that accidents happen. Today, it’s rare when a vehicle accident isn’t highlighted during the traffic portion of your local evening news, or you don’t come across one in your daily travels. That said, when a specific organization’s trucks are involved in accidents time and time again, a red flag is waved. It’s not surprising that the contributing factors are often similar and involve negligence of some type. These factors may include the following:
- Driving While Distracted: Amazon drivers are always looking forward to their next stop. They may text, talk on their phones, and review delivery logs, all of which take their attention away from driving. When driving a truck, simply taking your eyes off the road for a moment can result in a serious accident.
- Driving While Tired: The demands placed on Amazon drivers are considerable; they have to deliver a lot of packages. Many avoid taking necessary breaks simply to complete their daily load.
- Ignoring Road Rules: Speed limits and traffic signs help keep us safe. But when signs are ignored in pursuit of efficiency, accidents often occur.
- Not Following Procedures: Engaging the emergency brake and making sure packages are loaded appropriately help keep people safe. But in the hurry to deliver as many packages as quickly as possible, sometimes these important steps are skipped.
- Inadequate Training: Loading, delivery, and vehicle operations are all important parts of driving an Amazon delivery truck. When drivers aren’t provided the appropriate training, accidents may result.
An experienced Amazon truck accident attorney will know what to look for and how to prove negligence. They can help you get the appropriate compensation for your accident.
What to Do if an Amazon Truck Hits Your Car
Your Response Is Critical
Being involved in a truck accident is unfortunate — the injuries you sustain can be serious and the damage to your vehicle significant. The costs resulting from the accident can be life changing.
It is important to know that the steps you take after you have been in an accident can impact both your health and well-being and the compensation you may receive. Make sure you take these steps:
- Call the Authorities: If you are able, call 911. The report from the responding officers can be valuable to your case.
- Take Care of Yourself: Your health must always be your priority. If you do not need to go to the hospital, make sure you visit your personal physician. Adrenaline kicks in after a traumatic event. While you may feel fine at the accident scene, later on you may realize that you truly were injured.
- Collect Information: If you are able, take photos or videos of the accident scene, including the Amazon truck that hit you. If there are any witnesses, get their names and contact information.
- Contact an Amazon Truck Accident Attorney: This professional can help investigate the accident and identify its causes, and they can represent you in negotiations and litigation in order to maximize your settlement.
- Be Careful of What You Say: In the hours and days after your accident, you may be contacted by the insurance company or Amazon representative. You should refer these calls directly to your attorney. Do not engage in any communication with them other than to provide them with the contact information for your legal representation. You could inadvertently say something that would negatively impact your case.
Doing the right things after an accident can make a tangible difference as you move forward.
Can You Sue Amazon if a Delivery Driver Hits Your Car?
Amazon Accident Factors
Not surprisingly, many people wonder whether they can sue Amazon when one of the delivery trucks has hit them. It may seem frustrating, but the answer depends. You see, not all Amazon delivery drivers work directly for Amazon.
Because of the volume of business they do, Amazon often uses independent contractors to drive their delivery trucks.
If the driver is a direct Amazon employee, then you may be able to sue the company; but if he or she is an independent contractor, you would need to take a different approach. For example, if the driver of the truck you were in an accident with was classified as an Amazon Flex driver, you may be able to receive a settlement through the company’s insurance. According to their website: “ In addition to your personal coverage, Amazon provides delivery partners in all states other than NY with the Amazon Commercial Auto Insurance Policy at no cost. This policy includes Auto liability coverage, Uninsured motorist/under-insured motorist coverage, and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage.”
Your truck accident attorney can help you identify the responsible parties and determine how to proceed with your case.
Are Amazon Drivers Responsible for Accidents?
Many people ask whether they can sue the driver of the Amazon truck that hit them. Depending upon the circumstances, you may be able to do this. If the driver is found guilty of negligence, they could be held responsible.
Again, working with an experienced Amazon accident attorney can be incredibly beneficial. These professionals are well-versed in accidents like this and can help identify exactly which parties can be held responsible in each specific situation.
Working With a Seasoned Amazon Truck Accident Attorney Is Beneficial
In general, personal injury law (under which vehicular accidents fall) is complex. There is a host of required paperwork that must be submitted in accordance with the statute of limitations. When the accident includes an Amazon truck, the process becomes even more involved.
Your Amazon truck accident attorney will:
- Investigate the accident: This includes interviewing any witnesses to better understand exactly what happened and to determine both who was at fault and who may be liable for damages. They can help answer the question of exactly who you can sue.
- Manage the Legal Process: Your attorney will file all appropriate forms and paperwork accurately and in a timely fashion. Missed legal deadlines can result in the court’s not even hearing your case.
- Identify Your Total Damages: In Massachusetts, truck accident victims may be entitled to a host of economic and non-economic damages. Because accidents with a truck can cause severe injuries, victims may be impacted for significant periods of time. Sometimes they require considerable time away from work to recover, and some individuals may never be able to work again. Certain injuries can impact victims for the rest of their lives. Your attorney can help quantify your damages to confirm that the settlement you request covers all your costs.
- Represent You: Communicating with Amazon attorneys and insurance company representatives is not only time-consuming; it also is fraught with possible mistakes. Legal professionals know how to conduct these meetings to improve settlements and protect you from sharing information that may hurt your case.
Clearly, if you are the victim of an accident with an Amazon truck, you have a lot to do. The guidance and representation of a skilled accident attorney can be extremely valuable for you.
Cava Law Firm Can Help You With Your Amazon Truck Accident Case
Winning Is No Accident
If you or a loved one has been in an accident with an Amazon truck, you have a lot to manage. Our seasoned truck accident attorneys can help you handle this complicated and often overwhelming process.
Our team is well-versed in Massachusetts personal injury law and specifically experienced in representing victims of Amazon truck accidents. We have made a commitment to providing those with whom we work with the high-quality service they need and deserve.
As our client, you benefit from the full resources of our firm. We take the time necessary to understand all the details of your accident and manage each step of the legal process.
We know these accidents are traumatizing. You need to focus on your health and your recovery. We will handle all the details.
Contact Cava Today
Time is of the essence, so don’t wait. Reach out to us today at (413) 737-3430 or (413) 781-CAVA (2282) to schedule a free consultation. We want you to have the opportunity to meet us and better understand the value we bring. Maximizing your settlement is our ultimate goal, and we are ready to begin our pursuit of it today.